Monday, August 25, 2008

Vendor Spotlight: Aaron Van Photography

After receiving a call from Aaron requesting the details on our Bride's nail and hair appointments, her rehearsal info and where she would be dressing for her big moment- I knew he was genuinely interested in the couple's happiness. The man drove out to the nail salon to snap a few photos the day before the Wedding, attended their rehearsal, met them at the hair salon the next afternoon and followed the Bride all the way to the altar. On top of all this, the couple also attended a series of engagement photo shoots and the Bride dressed up for a portrait session in her dress. All of these moments were captured with such creativity and life- the results are nothing short of fabulous. I decided the world of Brides needed to know more about Aaron Van and his work, so please enjoy my Spotlight session with Aaron and a few samples of his latest work- you won't be disappointed!

What do you love most about photography?
Overall I like capturing the moment, finding that right spot, angle, lighting and composition and then catching the memory as it flies by. We live in a world of moments and yet we are moving so fast that we rarely get to stop and enjoy what we were doing. As the pace of life grows ever faster I feel that the role of a photographer becomes even more important, but you can't just take a picture, you have to anticipate, react and tell a story with your photography. It's that challenge and the feeling you get after seeing what you've shot that make me love this work.


What do you bring to the table that separates your business from other photographers'?
I have a background in graphic design, I've worked as a designer and an art director for many agencies over 10+ years as well as working for myself. There are three things I think that provides as an invaluable commodity to my work and separates me from other photographers. In design you have to be able to tell a story with imagery, to get a message across quickly, so I know what others like to see, what they are interested in visually, there's a science to it. The second is an understanding of composition, where to put objects in a scene so as to attract the most attention and for the entire image to be pleasing to the eye. It's not just about tilting the camera or putting someone in the right side of the frame, it has to do with every element in the scene and what works or does not work changes and varies for every shot.Lastly is an in depth understanding of Photoshop, when I capture an image and it's not quite what I want I can create it. There is a difference between an image that looks like it was Photoshopped and one that was but looks natural. I can manipulate just about anything and still keep the photo looking as though it was straight out of the camera. It's like watching a big special effects movies, the best ones are the ones that don't look like they used any special effects, like they were just shot that way and somehow they got that on camera.My job is not just to press a shutter button, it's to tell a story. If a photo speaks a thousand words then I strive for my images to be novels.

What is your favorite part of a wedding and why?
Ohhh, tough one, there are so many great things about a wedding. I think my favorite thing would have to be capturing all those hidden moments that most people don't see or notice. Shots of the Bride and Groom during their first dance are special and important but it's getting the photo of the parents emotionally watching that dance that make it worth it for me. I love that the couple get to experience another side of the event as well as relive their moments when looking through their book or watching their DVD.

Describe your photography style and why it should appeal to Brides.
My photography style is different from most for many reasons. I don't focus on a single industry, there are lots of wedding photographers out there and some very good ones but when I look at portfolios I tend to see the same thing because they focus so much on the craft of photography and not the art of capturing a moment. When I approach a shoot I figure out how to use the camera to get the image I have in my head, I like to study my subjects and match my photography to their style. In my design business I am always told that I consistently get it right for a client and it is because I listen to who they are and the story they are trying to tell and then I use the tools at my disposal to create an image for them. That is the approach I bring to photography as well. So while my quality is always consistent my look is usually quite unique, while most photographers tell their own story using the clients event, I strive to tell the clients story using the camera as a tool. I am excited about what I do, I anticipate and react I don't just walk around and wait for something to happen, I love to study my surroundings and to capture the shots that take you back every time you look at them.

I find Aaron to be such an incredible and creative asset to your wedding plans because he isn't your average Wedding Photographer at all. His experience in different photography fields keeps him fresh and excited for each event. Getting to know couples personally and learning their story, what they are all about- is half the fun for Aaron. Every wedding he books includes a studio session as well as the rehearsal dinner to draw him closer to his clients and his surroundings which ultimately gives him the edge where final product is concerned.
"At the end of it all I understand that my couples put their trust in me to deliver a lifetime of memories and I take that as seriously as I did when I handed it over to my own wedding photographer."-- Aaron Van








No comments: